Monday 11 July 2016

Thus The Story Begins




Last week I began what I thought was the final stage of my novel's life.  On Wednesday, 30 copies of "Day's Dying Glory" were sent to different libraries around the UK.  The launch date for this book is actually next April, but I wanted to give libraries the support of something new and different as well as getting my book out there.  I even included a competition in it, for both readers and libraries.

So this seems like the end of the journey.  It's been quite a long journey - usually I dive straight into things and try to get them finished as quickly as possible - but this began over four years ago with this online exchange:

30/01/2012 (Name removed to try and keep the mystery alive!)

10:08 You: You've been invited to this chat room!
 me: Hello XXX!
 You: Hello. I closed the window by mistake
 me: I thought maybe you did!!!
  <3
10:09 I'm writing!
 You: :D <3 Oooh, what are you writing?
 me: A new idea of storiness!
 You: Whatsit? Whatsit?
 me: or storyness, which looks more like it!
10:10 You: What's it about?
 me: So far, a lodge in the highlands!
10:11 You: oooh, exciting. What happens?
 me: Not telling - you'll have to wait and see!
 You: Oh, come on! Please?
 me: I'll send you the second paragraph but that is all...

And so this novel, so unlike anything I had ever written before, began to take shape.

After four and a half years in the pipeline, and so many edits and drafts that I have lost count, my novel finally made it's way Out There, wherever "There" might be.  And it has been emotional.  My book has made people laugh and cry, readers have fallen in love with characters and really hated others.  And igniting such emotions in my readers gave me hope that publishing was not out of the question.

But I've realised, as we've prepared the characters and writing to be sent out into the world, that this is not the end of the journey for them.  Rather it is the first step in their outgoing journey, and I am anxious and excited to see how they get on Out There.  So if you are in the vicinity of any of these libraries (below), please pay them a visit and ask for their copy of Day's Dying Glory.  Who knows, as well as enjoying the book, you might win the £50 gift card!

Bromsgrove Library, Worcestershire
Canton Library, Cardiff
Brough Library, East Yorkshire
Oakmere Library, Potters Bar
Wigtown Library
St Mary's Library, Scilly Isles

No comments:

Post a Comment